Aircraft operational records
Viscount c/n 435 had a
long and varied career
Records for all 445 aircraft built are available
The story of each Viscount is as varied as the number of aircraft built. Some like c/n 248 G-AOXU and c/n 435 G-BFZL had
long and varied careers. Others like c/n 84 VH-TVG and c/n 447 D-ANAF had loyal careers with only one owner. Some however
had very short careers like c/n 337 AP-AJE that crashed after only 5 months service.
To retrieve an aircraft's operational record enter either its construction number (1-459) or one of the registrations it
used during its life. Note that some registrations were allocated to more than one Viscount and are marked (*).
Enter the construction number
Displayed will be all the information that we have on file for that aircraft. However the history may be
incomplete, so any help you can give in completing it will be appreciated.
Featured aircraft - c/n 148 - VH-TVJ
VH-TVJ - TAA - Trans-Australia Airlines - June 1956 to May 1970
Delivered new to TAA - Trans Australia Airlines named as 'John Forrest'. Taken at Cairns, Queensland, Australia in October 1958. Note that the extended range 'slipper' fuel tanks have now been removed.
Photo source - A Fraser
TAA - Trans-Australia Airlines
This aircraft c/n 148, a V.756D, was built for TAA - Trans-Australia Airlines as VH-TVJ and first flew on Thursday, 14 June 1956 at Hurn, Bournemouth, Hampshire, England.
During its life it was also owned and/or operated by Nonferral (Queensland) Pty Ltd, Farm & Agricultural Dispsals, Jensen Metals, Jim Aspromourgus and the Gold Coast Military Museum
Its final owner/operator was QAM - Queensland Air Museum as VH-TVJ.
Last revenue flight to Eagle Farm Airport, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and withdrawn from use by TAA - Trans-Australia Airlines and placed in open store 10 October 1968. Moved into a hangar at Eagle Farm Airport, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia 13 March 1970 and stripped of all useful parts and deletion of TAA - Trans Australia Airlines markings. Registration cancelled as aircraft permanently withdrawn from use 13 May 1970.
Remains sold to Nonferral (Queensland) Pty Ltd. Circa May 1970. Remains broken up for scrap except for the nose section which was saved June 1970. Nose section sold to Farm & Agricultural Disposals June 1970, Jensen Metals 1 January 1986, Jim Aspromourgus circa April 1989, Gold Coast Military Museum circa January 1990, and to QAM - Queensland Air Museum 9 October 1993 and put on display. Painted in TAA-Trans-Australia Airlines 'White Tail' livery October 2010.
History and photos of Viscount c/n 148 VH-TVJ
TAA - Trans-Australia Airlines Viscount fleet list and photos
Australia issued Viscount registrations
Photos contributed by A Fraser