25 May 2024
This website is regularly archived by the British Library who selectively archive websites with research values that are representative of British social history and cultural heritage.

Museum search

Viscount Survivors

59 of the 444 Viscounts built survive as complete airframes or major components. Some are in very good condition and are looked after by museums while others are just wrecks. They can be found in 24 countries.

Viscount history

Discover the history of the Viscount with film, video, contemporary reports from the pages of Flight Magazine, our newsletters, and aircraft operational records and photos from our database.

Share your photos and stories

Our 'Live Magazine' is used by members and non-members to share their Viscount photos and stories with fellow enthusiasts located throughout the world in real time.

You are able to send in your photos, stories and comments by Facebook, Twitter or email and we will post them for all to enjoy.

Contact us

Join the Vickers Viscount Network
for FREE

Featured pages

Our website contains over 20,000 pages of photos and information that can all be accessed from the menu at the top of every page. Here are a few to get you started.

This website does not use cookies or capture your details

Established 2005
Vickers Viscount Network
A Virtual Museum dedicated to the Vickers-Armstrongs VC2 Viscount

Flying a TCA - Trans-Canada Air Lines Viscount Across the Atlantic

The Diary of a Viscount delivery flight from Hurn, England to Montreal, Canada

By Robert J Blackburn

Hurn, Bournemouth, Dorset, England, Wednesday, 9 March 1955, 1 pm - all is ready for the departure of 604 - or, to give the aircraft her full title, Viscount type V.724 CF-TGL, first of her type to be built at Hurn. Ferry 604, our flight number, derives from Trans-Canada Air Lines practice of referring to aeroplanes by numbers rather than letters. Their first, second and third Viscounts, built at Weybridge, Surrey, England and already delivered, are 601, 602 and 603.

Preparing the Viscount for her transatlantic flight is, I find, only one aspect of the complicated process of dispatching a new aircraft from factory to operator. The centre of all the activity is the pilots' office at Hurn, presided over by Guy Morgan, the ex Supermarine pilot concerned with customer relations. Telephones ring constantly. At frequent intervals a Heron or Dove arrives to unload pilots, passengers, documents and the latest news from Wisley. Outside the office an assorted fleet of motor vehicles provides surface transport to all parts of the sprawling Hurn works; within, a cheerful young Scotswoman miraculously combines secretarial efficiency with the ability to produce cups of hot tea at all times.

TCA - Trans-Canada Viscount CF-TGL

Here I meet Bill Bird, TCA's contracts representative at Wisley, who has come to inspect and accept 604 on behalf of his company and to check all the documents taken on the delivery flight or retained in England. The list is formidable . . . acceptance certificate, Vickers approved certificate, aircraft receipt, certified paid invoice, journey log book, flight manual, certificate of airworthiness, DOT form 2445, radio licence and inventory of equipment.

The proverbial fine-tooth-comb scrutiny of 604 finds no defect more serious than a dead battery for an emergency light and a crinkle on one corner of the cabin floor-covering, so Bill takes a deep breath and signs away x thousand dollars. Having accepted the aircraft he must now sign it back to Vickers-Armstrongs, for delivery flights are the manufacturers' responsibility.

Officially, all of the seven people who embark in 604 are classed as crew-members, though two of us must admit to supernumerary status. In command is Colin Allen, who joined Vickers' flight test staff from BEA - British European Airways some three years ago. His co-pilot is Peter Marsh, a more recent recruit to Wisley and also ex BEA. There are two navigator/radio-operators - Bill Bower and George Wood. Bill is yet a third ex BEA man, and George's marked preference for comfortable, four-engined aircraft stems from some years of service in RAF Washington's. The flight engineer is Bob Rampling, a veteran member of Vickers' aircrew staff with 2,800 test-flying hours in his log-book. For Bob the transatlantic crossing is a new experience, but his colleagues have all participated in one or other of previous Viscount deliveries. The supernumeraries are Willy Thomas, an electrical specialist on his way to Winnipeg for liaison duties with TCA, and the writer.

We climb aboard the gleaming, silver-and-red aircraft, its flawless interior a reminder that 604 has flown not quite 20 hours. The Darts are quickly started, and their kettle-whistle is the signal for a great deal of farewell waving to 604 as she rolls majestically along the perimeter track. We reach the runway - and turn back, with a faulty hydraulic-pressure gauge. Embarrassed, we disembark to smoke a disconsolate cigarette while the gauge is rectified. An hour later we are really on our way - climbing at 180 kt indicated to join Airway Amber One at Daventry.

The distance to Prestwick, Scotland, our first refuelling-point, is only 315 nautical miles, so it is not worth going above 16,500ft. 604 reaches her cruising height in quarter of an hour to hum along in calm air at 280 kt. Sunshine floods the cabin, empty but for four double chairs and a few packages, including personal luggage, a ten-man life raft and minor spares for dispersal en route. The full seating for 40 passengers will not be fitted until the aircraft reaches Canada, since the chairs used by TCA are of American manufacture.

Up front there is distinctly less room to spare. TCA's Viscounts are designed for two-crew operation, whereas we shall have three or four hands on deck at all times. The left-hand seat will be occupied by either Colin or Peter, who are flying alternate legs, with the duty radio operator on the right. Navigation is performed in the right-hand freight compartment, situated immediately aft of the flight deck and temporarily equipped with a Loran scope, our main aid to navigation on the over-ocean legs.

Prestwick, March 9th, 4.30 pm we reach Prestwick an hr after take-off, to be welcomed by TCA's station manager, John Gilmore, who sees that 604's tanks are replenished with JP-4 and her galley loaded with ready-prepared meals and fresh coffee for the crew. The met office gives us a reasonable forecast for Keflavik, Iceland, and as we cannot force on to Bluie West, Greenland before daybreak there is time for dinner at the airport hotel before take-off.

We begin the 743 nautical miles stage to Keflavik at 6.22 p.m. Once again the air is smooth at our cruising height - 24,000ft - and 604 is performing beautifully. Contrary to normal airline practice, TCA's advertising modestly credits the Viscount 724 with a cruising speed of 322 mph, whereas George's calculations show that we have a true airspeed, at normal cruising rpm (13,600), of 286 kt - 329 mph. But we are not going to set any records on this leg, since a 60 kt beam wind is swinging round into a 50 kt component "on the nose". Loran provides us with all the fixes we need, and London comes through on HF with the latest weather at Keflavik.

Half-way through our flight Aurora Borealis brings the sky to life; we are passing beneath an arch of dancing, shimmering lemon-coloured light. The vision has faded when we reach our reporting point at Lax, 68 nautical miles from Keflavik. There are scattered clouds 2,000ft above our destination, but visibility is 10-15 miles. We make a visual approach and touch down on the 10,000ft plus runway 3 hrs after leaving Prestwick. 604 taxies to dispersal through a maze of coloured lights and we step out on to wet tarmac. The night air is surprisingly mild: Iceland proves to be several degrees warmer than Southern England. We enter the terminal, gasping slightly in its oven-like atmosphere. Can this be Iceland? My doubts are dispelled by a notice reading: "Aircrews—have you reported your iceberg today?".

Keflavik, March 14th, 12 noon GMT our fifth day in Iceland. Each morning we have risen early, eager to set off for Greenland, only to be forced back into frustrated boredom by a gloomy shake of the weatherman's head. The entire operation hinges on weather at Bluie West One. Flying direct to Goose Bay, Newfoundland 1,315 nautical miles from Keflavik by great circle route, would be out of the question for medium-range aircraft such as our Viscount without the guarantee of (a) headwinds of not more than 30 kt or so, and (b) "wide open" conditions at Goose; a diversion to the nearest alternate (Sept-Îles/Seven Islands, Canada 286 nautical miles from Goose Bay) plus an hour's holding would be stretching 604's endurance too far. This is a situation which underlines the difference between theoretical still-air range and practical stage-length. One begins to realize why nobody has yet produced an airliner capable of safe, regular operation from London to New York non-stop.

Avro York

604 is not the only aircraft pinned to the apron at Keflavik by the strong winds and weather which have persisted for the past five days. Two Yorks, notwithstanding their 12-hour endurance and 2,500 mile range, have also been tied up here. True, one set out for Goose Bay on Saturday night, but it turned back when, off Greenland, headwinds cut its ground-speed to about 100 kt.

Meanwhile 604's captain has been seeking permission to re-route the flight, if necessary, via Bluie West Eight, otherwise Sondre Stromfjord, the U.S.A.F. base on the north-west coast of Greenland, which has better weather and approaches than Bluie West One. Signals have flashed between Keflavik, London, Washington and Montreal and diplomatic wheels have been set in motion. Authority is needed not only to land at Bluie West Eight but also to uplift USAF fuel on the strength of a Shell credit card; "cash down" is the normal rule. So far as Bluie West One is concerned we already hold such authority, but we think some days will elapse before the concession can be extended to cover Bluie West Eight also. (Later we are to learn that permission arrives an hour after our departure from Keflavik.)

Over the past two or three days we have heard reports of heavy snow-falls at Bluie West One and the prospect of an early move seemed remote when, yesterday morning, F/L Fred Diamont, who controls RCAF Sabre movements through Keflavik, received a teleprinter signal forecasting that the airfield would be snowbound until Thursday or Friday next. This morning, however, we learned with surprised pleasure that Bluie's runway is usable (though it offers only "fair" braking conditions) and that good weather is forecast there for most of the day.

George and Bill, our navigators, have prepared their umpteenth flight plan since 604's arrival at Keflavik and now the moment of departure is near. Navigationally, the Iceland-Greenland leg is the most difficult stage of the journey. Loran coverage is poor in these latitudes and headwinds are likely to be both' strong and unpredictable. Flight planning has been considerably simplified by the performance and consumption calculations worked out in advance of transatlantic Viscount delivery flights by Vickers' analysts at Weybridge. The accuracy of these figures, which were closely checked on the first two deliveries, may now be taken for granted.

An important part of flight planning is the selection of our cruising altitude. In still air it is always desirable to fly at 24,000ft or above, except on very short stages, but we must take into account the possibility of extreme disparity between the headwind components expected at high and medium levels respectively. To assist them in making this decision, 604's navigators have been provided with a graph showing the ground nautical miles flown per pound of fuel for any likely combination of headwind component and cruising height.

In the event of inability to land at Bluie West One, due to bad weather or some unforeseen factor, our alternate will be Keflavik. It is necessary, therefore, to fix a critical point on the route at which sufficient fuel will remain for an about-turn to Keflavik plus 2,000 lb for an hour's holding on our return. This critical point is little short of our destination - provided that the decision to return is made before 604 begins her descent. Our intention is to leave Bluie West One as soon as possible after refuelling, taking full advantage of the fair weather while it lasts. The two Yorks have already set off for Goose Bay, naming Bluie as their alternate.

We take leave of Binnie Thorvaldson, TCA's station manager at Keflavik, and F/L Diamont - two people who have done much to ease the burden of our enforced stay within the confines of this bleak airport - and thankfully climb aboard 604. At 12.58 she is airborne, to climb swiftly through the thin overcast into the cold, clear blueness which is the Viscount's element.

Navigation has its problems during the first part of the journey; our only fix is obtained from a single Loran line crossed with back bearing from Keflavik range. We are unable to contact weather-ship Alpha, whose station lies half-way between Iceland and Greenland. At the mid-point, however, George has established the wind at 24,090ft as 105 kt from 260 degrees instead of the forecast 100 kt from 200 degrees. The Viscount alters course accordingly and now communications begin to improve. Bill makes contact with London and Keflavik on HF and obtains the latest forecast for Goose Bay; Loran is working nicely and we are relaying position reports for the two Yorks.

TCA - Trans-Canada Viscount CF-TGI

Greenland is visible 50 miles away and our position is easily pin-pointed as we cross the east coast and make for Simiutak radio-range station. There is scarcely a cloud in the sky, so we would have no difficulty in letting down over the mountains (which hem in Bluie West) instead of descending over the range and approaching via one of the tortuous fjords which are the only means of entry in marginal weather conditions. But study of such terrain in fine weather may pay dividends on future occasions so we descend to 1,000ft at Simiutak for a normal procedure approach. 604 weaves her way above the deep blue water of the fjord towards the unseen runway ahead, great white and brown masses of snow-covered rock mirrored in her gleaming wings. A thump and a rumble beneath her cabin floor as the wheels snap into the airstream. One more gentle turn and the runway appears beyond the crust of ice which fringes the end of the fjord.

Powdery snow and frozen slush prove a better landing surface than one would expect, and 604 rolls almost to a standstill within half the runway's length. The flight from Keflavik, 804 nautical miles away via the fjord, has taken 4 hr 12 min; headwinds, plus the let-down procedure, have subtracted a good deal from our cruising speed of 286 kt. We disembark in brilliant sunshine and snow glare and make for the weatherman's office, pausing only to pay the $10 56c landing fee. Our flight-planning is well under way as the Yorks arrive at Bluie, having received ill reports of Goose weather.

Bluie West One, March 14th, 7.20 pm GMT airborne for Goose Bay. The flight plan names Sept-Îles/Seven Islands as our destination, but an improved forecast of 5,000ft cloud-base and 5-8 miles visibility at Goose allows us to proceed as originally planned. Now the navigators can relax - Loran fixes all the way to the airways entry point at Caplin, then along the range to Goose; HF contact with Goose, Gander, Shannon and London; cruising speed 280 kt at 16,000ft. A 70 kt headwind swings to 70 on the beam, slackening to 25 kt.

At dusk, the first faint glimpse of Labrador through milky cloud - a television-screen picture of straight roads and patches of colourless forest against grey snow. Headwinds considered 604 reaches Goose in good time - 672 nautical miles in 3 hr 3 min.

Goose Bay, March 14th, 11.29 GMT 604 soars into the clear night air in a flurry of fine snow, which lies thick and dry on the runway. Airways control has restricted us to 16,000ft on this 716 nautical mile last leg; perhaps the RCAF's night fighters are at exercise. The headwind has dropped to 20 kt, and the air is smooth. Despite their long duty day, 604's crew show no signs of fatigue, and one blesses the Dart turboprops which have carried us so far in such comfort. Paradoxically, flying has been the least strenuous part of our journey. Patterns of gleaming lights confirm the instruments' messages as we identify one radio range after another en route to Montreal. Touch-down is at 2.18 am GMT on Tuesday, March 15th. We re-set our watches and it is Monday again.

Photo of BEA - British European Airways Viscount G-AOJC

The Vickers Viscount Network is always interested to hear from anyone who has information or photographs to help complete the story of the Viscount. If you can help please contact us at

Click here for more details about the Vickers Viscount Network

This website has been designed, built and is maintained by Geoff Blampied, Norwich, Norfolk, England.