26 June 2019
This website is regularly archived by the British Library who selectively archive websites with research values that are representative of British social history and cultural heritage.

Museum search


Viscount history


Discover the history of the Viscount with film, video, contemporary reports from the pages of Flight Magazine, our newsletters, and aircraft operational records and photos from our database.


Share your photos and stories


Our 'Live Magazine' is used by members and non-members to share their Viscount photos and stories with fellow enthusiasts located throughout the world in real time.

You are able to send in your photos, stories and comments by Facebook, Twitter or email and we will post them for all to enjoy.

Contact us


Join the Vickers Viscount Network
for FREE


Featured pages

Our website contains over 20,000 pages of photos and information that can all be accessed from the menu at the top of every page. Here are a few to get you started.



This website does not use cookies or capture your details


Established 2005
Vickers Viscount Network
A Virtual Museum dedicated to the Vickers-Armstrongs VC2 Viscount
   

Viscount c/n 180

Operational Record

Photo of Viscount c/n 180
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM)


Netherlands flag Netherlands

This V.803 series Viscount was built for
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM) as PH-VII

It first flew on Friday, 22 November 1957 at Weybridge, Surrey, England powered by Rolls-Royce Dart 510 engines.


During its life this aircraft was also owned and/or operated by
Aer Lingus


Photo of Viscount c/n 180
Ballyboughal Airfield Group


Ireland flag Ireland

Its final owner/operator was
Ballyboughal Airfield Group as EI-AOH.

Its fate:-
Withdrawn from service by Aer Lingus and stored at Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland November 1970. Registration cancelled as aircraft permanently withdrawn from use 3 January 1972.

Broken up for scrap except for the forward fuselage section which was saved for preservation June 1973. Forward fuselage section donated to the Irish Aviation Museum and displayed at Shannon Airport, County Clare, Ireland in September 1974.

Transferred for display inside the terminal building at Dublin Airport, Ireland - date unknown.

Transferred for display inside Castlemoat House, near Dublin Airport, Ireland due to terminal building development work at Dublin Airport circa 1985. Noted in existence at Castlemoat House in October 1997.

Reported in Wrecks & Relics book 24th Edition as preserved privately in the Dublin area in October 2013.

Transferred back to Aer Lingus from an unknown location circa April 2017.

Noted stored inside Aer Lingus Engineering Hangar 6 at Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland with the lower fuselage cut away and in poor internal condition.

Noted in an outdoor location circa December 2017. Transferred to Ballyboughal Airfield, County Dublin, Ireland circa March 2018. It is mounted on a large six-wheeled trailer and utilised as a temporary office / rest area during flying days. Does anyone know the date it was transferred to the airfield and the earlier outdoor location? Details please to information@vickersviscount.net.


Operational record
Photo of Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM) Viscount PH-VII

Country of Registration Netherlands

December 1957 to May 1966

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM)

PH-VII - c/n 180 - a V.803 series Viscount
Netherlands registered

circa 1956
This was the 9th V.803 ordered by Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM).

Production Aircraft No. 40 - the 40th production V.800 series Viscount built,
was the 11th V.800 Viscount fuselage assembled at Weybridge, Surrey, England,
and the 40th V.800 Viscount assembled at Weybridge, Surrey, England.

Production Order No. F09/803. Sales Order No. 09/83B. Stock Order No. 05/33B.

13 March 1957
Fuselage assembly commenced at Weybridge, Surrey, England.

26 June 1957
Fuselage to Erecting Shop 'E' at Weybridge, Surrey, England.

22 November 1957
First flight from Brooklands Airfield, Weybridge, Surrey, England.

It landed at Wisley Airfield, Surrey, England for fitting out and test flying.

17 December 1957
Local test flight from Wisley Airfield, Surrey, England with Captain W D Jarvis and John W Charles Judge which lasted for 50 minutes.

They were checking vibration levels.

23 December 1957
Registered to Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM).

21 December 1959
Noted at Blackbushe Airport, Hampshire, England during the test flight period.

23 December 1957
Delivered to Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM) named as 'Daidalos' (Daedalus) with a 53 seat cabin.

The original livery had ‘The Flying Dutchman’ titles on the port side and ‘De Vliegende Hollander’ titles on the starboard side.

The cabin seating was later increased to 59/64 all-tourist class configuration.

7 December 1958
Noted at Blackbushe Airport, Hampshire, England on a London Airport weather diversion. The passengers were transferred to London by coach.

6 February 1960
Noted at Blackbushe Airport, Hampshire, England on a London Airport weather diversion. The passengers were transferred to London by coach.

David Carter illustration of KLM Viscount PH-VII

Viscount illustrations by David Carter


Painted in the new KLM 'diagonal striped tail' livery.
KLM
'diagonal striped tail' livery

circa 1960
Painted in the new KLM 'diagonal striped tail' livery with ‘KLM - Royal Dutch Airlines’ titles.

Painted in the KLM 'horizontal striped tail' livery.
KLM
'horizontal striped tail' livery

circa 1965
Painted in the new KLM 'horizontal striped tail' livery.

1 May 1966
Sold to Aer Lingus.


Photo of Aer Lingus Viscount EI-AOH

Country of Registration Ireland

May 1966 to September 1974

Aer Lingus

EI-AOH - c/n 180 - a V.803 series Viscount
Ireland registered

1 May 1966
Purchased from Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (KLM).

It was ferried to Prestwick Airport, Ayrshire, Scotland for a repaint in Aer Lingus livery by Scottish Aviation Ltd (SAL).

At this time the KLM cabin interior was retained, but later replaced.

31 May 1966
Noted outside at Prestwick Airport, Ayrshire, Scotland now fully repainted in Aer Lingus livery.

Interesting that this aircraft didn't have the weather radar system installed, unlike EI-AOG (C/N 172) which went to SAL at the same time.

It was now named as 'St Fiacre' / 'Fiachra' who was born in Ireland at the end of the 6th century

November 1970
Withdrawn from service and stored at Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland.

Total time 22,766 hours.

3 January 1972
Registration cancelled as aircraft permanently withdrawn from use.

June 1973
Broken up for scrap by Walls metal salvage except for the forward fuselage section which was saved for preservation.

September 1974
Foreward fuselage section donated to the Irish Aviation Museum.

FURTHER READING: Books about Aer Lingus



Photo of Irish Aviation Museum Viscount EI-AOH

Country of Registration Ireland

December 1974 to April 2017

Irish Aviation Museum

EI-AOH - c/n 180 - a V.803 series Viscount
Ireland registered

September 1974
Forward fuselage section donated by Aer Lingus to the Irish Aviation Museum and displayed at Shannon Airport, County Clare, Ireland and still named as 'St Fiacre' / 'Fiachra'.

Displayed inside the terminal building at Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland.
Displayed inside the terminal building at Dublin Airport, Ireland

Forward fuselage section transferred for display inside the terminal building at Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland. The date is not known.
Details please to information@vickersviscount.net

Displayed at Castlemoat House, near Collinstown Airport, Dublin Ireland.
Displayed at Castlemoat House, near Dublin Airport, Ireland

circa 1985
Forward fuselage section transferred for display inside Castlemoat House, near Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland due to terminal building development work. The actual date is not known.
Details please to information@vickersviscount.net

October 1997
Last noted in existence at Castlemoat House.

October 2013
Reported in Wrecks & Relics book 24th Edition as preserved privately in the Dublin area.

circa April 2017
Transferred back to Aer Lingus from an unknown location.


Photo of Aer Lingus Viscount EI-AOH

Country of Registration Ireland

April 2017 to March 2018

Aer Lingus

EI-AOH - c/n 180 - a V.803 series Viscount
Ireland registered

circa April 2017
Transferred from an unknown location back to Aer Lingus still named as 'St Fiacre' / 'Fiachra'.

Noted stored inside Aer Lingus Engineering Hangar 6 at Collinstown Airport, Dublin, Ireland with the lower fuselage cut away and in poor internal condition.

circa December 2017
Noted at an unknown outdoor location.

Details please to information@vickersviscount.net

circa March 2018
Transferred to Ballyboughal Airfield Group.


Photo of Ballyboughal Airfield Group Viscount EI-AOH

Country of Registration Ireland

March 2018 to

Ballyboughal Airfield Group

EI-AOH - c/n 180 - a V.803 series Viscount
Ireland registered

circa March 2018
Transferred from Aer Lingus to this small grass airfield in County Dublin, Ireland still named as 'St Fiacre' / 'Fiachra'.

Aer Lingus were considering restoring it but finally decided not to proceed.

It is mounted on a large six-wheeled trailer and brought outside and utilised as a temporary office / rest area during flying days.

24 June 2018
Noted on Google Earth parked outside.

9 March 2019
Noted parked under cover.


Photo of BEA - British European Airways Viscount G-AOJC

The Vickers Viscount Network is always interested to hear from anyone who has information or photographs to help complete the story of the Viscount. If you can help please contact us at
Information@VickersViscount.net.


Click here for more details about the Vickers Viscount Network

This website has been designed, built and is maintained by Geoff Blampied, Norwich, Norfolk, England.